LORDS OF APATHY

May 17, 2006

SLANG UPDATE: SPECIAL 2 FOR 1 EDITION!

•"SMOKIN' ON THAT REGGIE MILLER" (© crunchy black / three 6 mafia)
One of the things I love about rap slang is discovering the evolution of how it came into being. My favorite, most elaborate, highly evolved bit of slang to date, popped up in the recent song "Stay Fly" by Three 6 Mafia . About midway through the song, Crunchy Black says something about "Smokin' on that Reggie Miller©". I'd hear the song on the radio every day while going to work, and each time that always jumped out at me-What's the significance of Reggie Miller in this context?. By about the 3rd or 4th time it hit me Like a bolt of lightning. Here's the breakdown on what I believe to be the evolution of the term (note: I had a hunch it had something to do with smoking Marijuanna.):

SMOKING MARIJUANA > SMOKING HERB > SMOKING WEED > SMOKING TREES > In Jamaican patois, The word 'THREE' sounds just like 'TREE' (SILENT 'H') . Reggie Miller was the shooting guard for the Indianna Pacers and was known for making clutch 'THREE' pointers. Thus: "Smokin' on that Reggie Miller©" = Smoking 'trees'.
_________________________________________________________

•"WORD BARRY©" (© snickerdoodles mcpoppycock / lords of apathy gang)
I coined this term about 3 weeks ago. I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone else say it before me because it's been right under our noses for some time now. It's evolution is fairly obvious, although there is an unexpected twist because it comes full circle, and then branches off and mutates further the second time around:

'MY WORD IS MY BOND' > WORD UP > WORD TO MOTHER/ WORD BOOTY/ DOOKIE etc. > WORD IS BOND > WORD IS BARRY BOND(S) = "Word Barry©"****

("WORD BARRY©" is properly used in tense, rage-filled situations such as ones you may find yourself in if you happened to be, or perhaps not be, juiced up on sterroids)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

talk about a scientific approach to rap