LORDS OF APATHY

July 18, 2008

KILLA MIKE BRINGING BACK THOUGHT-PROVOKING RAP

I can't front; I've enjoyed certain aspects of the last 5 or 10 years of complete and utter, mind numbing, jiggy, in da-club, designer label, expensive alchohol, gratuitous sex, message-free mainstream radio, clearchannel, consumer-rap... It's been like a decade-long spring break for my brain. But I have to say, Killa Mike's bringing back the age where rap is political; it makes you think; you could even have a discussion or a debate around some of the topics contained in the lyrics... Shit, Mike's even got Ice ''Are We There Yet?" Cube rapping about something relevant again... I'm not telling rap to abandon the jiggling tits and asses, and all the other stupid-ass shit that makes dumb drunk people want to dance 'in da club'... But let's sprinkle in some thought-provoking shit as well, so that people might have a chance to have more of a clue than DMX. I stole this video from resident LOA homegirl C-Rocka's new blog. Holler at it, and tell her Snickerdoodles sent you. Also, while you're at it, peep the awesome Killa Mike interview on The Loss Prevention from a few weeks back.

1 comment:

C-Rocka said...

I must say that album is off the charts!

Thanks for the shout too.